What about learning another Language? What about if the other Language was English? We have a great ESOL program that will help you to achieve your goals (Ven y aprende ingles!) There is no age requirement!
What about improving your native language? We have great plans for next year to open bilingual careers. If you speak another language other than English, use it as a competitive advantage!
I am so excited to lead the LIEOC to its greatest purpose. We have an amazing team of professionals and teachers. What attracted me to this center was its mission. We are committed to reaching out to people and helping them to achieve their dreams. We are dream makers! What’s your dream?
We have so many options that in a short period of time you can go back into the marketplace and increase your earning potential.
We provide educational support and guidance to eligible participants who express a desire to continue their education by empowering them to achieve educational and career goals. Ultimately, by cultivating skills through your enrollment, completion of postsecondary education and vocational training you will become a productive member of a diverse and global community.
Tell your friends who are thinking about going back to school, upgrading their skills or completing a post-secondary certification, about the Long Island Educational Opportunity Center. We can help them to form realistic career goals and identify programs to match their needs.
I believe that anybody can do whatever they want and be successful in life. The most important thing is that you believe in yourself! Our doors are open for you, and your community. Don’t keep the LIEOC a secret! Let people know, and let us know about your career dreams! Contact us!
Have a wonderful 2018 year!
Dr. Elsa-Sofia Morote
Executive Director, LIEOC
The statewide network of ten Educational Opportunity Centers (EOCs) and two Outreach and Counseling Centers essentially functions as the 65th campus of the State University of New York. With more than a thirty year history, EOCs have pioneered the way in providing urban communities with innovative academic programs leading to higher education, and vocational training programs leading to gainful employment and economic self-sufficiency.
Educational Opportunity Centers are the State's adult education model for the 21st Century. Its 600 faculty and staff promote human resource as well as community and economic development.
Specifically, the Educational Opportunity Centers:
Provide an integrated system of education, training and student support services to disadvantaged and adult residents; Offer targeted services to business and industry to upgrade the skill levels of incumbent workers; Collaborate with secondary schools to assist in the academic preparation of youth-at-risk; Provide intergenerational learning programs to strengthen families; and narrow the digital divide in economically challenged communities by placing technology where it is accessible.
Educational Opportunity Centers also assist the State in meeting its Workforce Investment Act mandates. Given their current complement of core and intensive services, they are a significant partner in the required One Stops.
Annually, EOCs enroll about 16,000 students. Approximately 60% receive public assistance and the other 40% are disadvantaged workers. Sixty percent of these students are enrolled in academic programs such as Adult Basic Education, English as a Second Language, HSE and College Preparation. The remaining 40% are enrolled in demand driven workforce development training programs that result in job placement in entry level, career-track employment in information/visual technology, customer service and allied health.
Expanding this model to other impoverished regions, so they can also contribute to the economic and social fiber of the State, is a primary goal of the EOCs for the 21st Century.
The LIEOC collaborates with higher education, business, industry, government, and its communities, to create a skilled workforce that remains competitive and vibrant in a global economy. We offer a variety of programs at our three locations that can include the following: Allied Health Education, Business Careers and Technology, Adult Basic Education, College Preparation, High School Equivalency (HSE), English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), and creative design opportunities through our Entrepreneur Technology Center's Visual Technology Program. In addition, we offer over 32 occupational, academic, and self-development courses at our ATTAIN labs located at Brentwood and Hempstead.
As we begin this academic year, we always look forward to our Recognition Ceremony in May, where we honor our students who have achieved their goals through multiple diverse pathways at the Long Island Educational Opportunity Center at Farmingdale State College.